Transported After School Karate Program 2022-2023
Our Transported After School Program offers a safe environment for your child to learn important life skills to help ensure their success at school, in the dojo, and later in life.
We provide the benefits of traditional martial arts programs like focus, respect, and self-control while also teaching practical self-defense methods for the ever-changing world. And we always operate in a fun and supportive environment so the kids can enjoy their journey towards the black belt, one step at a time!
Our goal is to live life at the highest level! This is the best way to maximize the potential of your child during the after-school time slot.
What Makes Our Program Outstanding:
✓ World Class Martial Arts Instruction
✓ Exciting Games to reinforce respect, teamwork, and focus
✓ Arts, Crafts and mini science Projects
✓ Mini Japanese Language Lessons
✓ Life-Skills & Character Development
✓ Confidence Building Bully Defense and Stranger Awareness
✓ Confidence & Leadership Drills
✓ Daily Inspirational ‘Mat Chats’ to instill outstanding behavior in our students
✓ Quiet Time / Reading Time & Homework
Our Dojo Vans currently picks up from:
- Daniel Bagley Elementary
- Whittier Elementary
- West Woodland Elementary
- Cascadia Elementary
- Greenlake Elementary
Our instructors lead walking groups from:
- Greenwood Elementary
If your school is not currently listed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the possibility of setting transportation up with your child’s school.
✓ Our program is for students ages 6.5 – 10. (Entering 1st grade in the Fall – 5th grade)
✓ Our program runs from school dismissal until 5 PM on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.
✓ Our Program is calculated weekly so you won’t pay for School Break Weeks
✓ Every student is required to attend at least 2 classes per week in order to stay up to date on the current curriculum requirements. (You can choose up to 4 classes a week!)
✓ NO Experience Needed! You’ll be able to follow along with our classes and have a blast even if you’ve never trained a day in the martial arts!
✓ Every student will take a belt test at the end of each trimester (Fall, Winter, and Spring) and Parents are welcome to watch the belt test to see the fruit of your child’s hard work!
Our program runs in conjunction with the Seattle Public School System’s calendar.
15 weeks (Wednesday, Sep 7th, 2022 – Thursday, Dec 15th, 2022)
13 weeks (Monday, January 3rd, 2023 – Thursday, March 30th, 2023)
12 weeks (Monday, April 3rd, 2023 – Thursday, June 29th, 2023)
*SPS has updated the school calendar on October 12th, 2022, and the last day of school is now Friday, June 30th instead of Monday, June 26th.
The last day of our afterschool program is Thursday, June 29th, 2023.
Dates without Karate
Our After School Program will be closed for the following dates:
Dates WITHOUT After-school Karate program
- State In-service Day – (Friday, October 14, 2022)
- Veterans Day – (Friday, November 11, 2022)
- A week before Thanksgiving Break – (November 14th to 18th, 2022)
- Unfortunately, we will be unable to offer our Afterschool karate program this week due to a karate training trip to Japan. Please make separate arrangements for this week. Thank you for understanding.
- School Conferences & Thanksgiving Break – (November 21st to 25th, 2022)
- Winter Break – (December 19th, 2022 to January 2nd, 2023)
- MLK Jr. Day – (Monday, January 16th, 2023)
- Day Between Semesters – (Thursday, February 2nd, 2023) / Potential Snow Makeup Date (1 of 3)
- Mid-Winter Break – (February 20th – 24th, 2023)
- Spring Break – (April 10th – 14th, 2023)
- Memorial Day – (Monday, May 29th, 2023)
- Juneteenth – (Monday, June 19th, 2023)
Tuesday, December 13th, 2022 – Thursday, Dec 15th, 2022)
Tuesday, March 28th, 2023 – Thursday, March 30th, 2023)
Tuesday, June 20th, 2023 – Thursday, June 22nd, 2023)
- Belt Tests will be held at the end of each quarter covering highlights of material taught in class.
- If your child can’t make it to the belt test, we’ll need to schedule a make-up belt test. There will be a $30 per child fee for scheduling a private make-up test.
- In order to qualify for the belt test, students will need to earn all of the stripes on their belts. These small steps will help them learn to set and achieve goals. These stripes are called memory, bronze, silver, and gold.
Emerald City Karate often puts on thrilling camps to keep our kids active when school is out. These include dodgeball, nerf wars, foam sword battles, crafts, and more. Don’t miss out on the epic fun!
- MLK Jr. Day on Monday, January 16th, 2023
- Day Between Semesters on Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 (*Possible Snow makeup Day)
- Spring Break Camp – April 11th – 15th, 2022
*If SPS decides to have a snow makeup day, this will affect our ability to hold some of our full-day camps. If school is in session we will cancel those camps affected by the adjusted schedule.
Tuition for 2022-2023
Early Release Wednesday
|$75 per week||$95 per week||$115 per week||Additional $10 per day|
In order to reserve and secure a spot for our afterschool program, a $50 non-refundable deposit is required upon registering. This non-refundable reservation deposit will be used towards your child’s first afterschool program tuition.
- White Uniform & Belt
- Sparring Gloves
- Dojo Cinch Bag
These items are included in our “Equipment Package” at a discounted price. If your child loses them, you’ll need to purchase new equipment at the dojo. Please label all of your gear!
- Your child’s spot is secured until the end of the school year unless we receive a cancellation notice ahead of time.
- A $50 non-refundable registration deposit is required upon registering to secure your child’s spot.
- This $50 deposit will be used towards the first month of tuition.
- Our Program is calculated weekly so you won’t pay tuition during School Break Weeks!
- If you choose our Wednesday class, there will be an extra $10/Day fee due to the early release times.
- Additional Siblings will receive a 10% discount from the full price listed above.
- Payments can be processed via EFT directly from your bank account (please provide a voided check) or through a credit card on file during the 1st week of every month.
- Payments that do not process or are declined are automatically assessed a $25 processing fee.
Cancellation & Refund Policies:
- All cancellation requests must be submitted in writing at least 2 weeks before your desired date of withdrawal. Verbal cancellation requests are not accepted as we need to have the details of the request in writing in case there is any confusion about the request.
- e.g. If you wish to withdraw from our after-school program starting in March, a cancellation request needs to be submitted in writing no later than 2 weeks before March 1st.
- If we don’t receive a cancellation request in writing 2 weeks before the 1st week of the month of the withdrawal, the tuition for that month will be charged to your account.
- No fee reductions will be made for late arrivals, early departures, and/or missing classes. It is understood that in the case of homesickness, dismissal, personal vacation, and/or voluntary withdrawal, there will be no refund of fees. If it is deemed advisable to send a student home for medical or other reasons, a prorated portion of the fees may be refunded at Emerald City Karate’s Discretion.
- ASP students are welcome to attend an evening class or afterschool class as a make-up session, as space allows. A friend cannot replace an absent student; all students must be registered to participate.
Late Pickup Policy:
- Parents/Guardians are requested to pick up their child(ren) no later than 5:15 PM. Afterward, late charges may apply. ($25 per 10 minutes late) Please let us know as soon as possible if, for some reason, you can’t pick up your child(ren) on time.
Absence and Illness Policy:
- Parents/Guardians are requested to keep their child(ren) at home when they have a fever and/or if they are sick. Parents/Guardians must contact us by NO LATER THAN 12 PM if their child(ren) doesn’t need to be picked up at the school.
- Please call us at 206-437-3932 or email us at email@example.com if your child will not be able to join us due to illness or other situation.
- If your child leaves school due to illness after 12 pm, please let us know ASAP so we don’t end up waiting in vain for them after school.
- A fee of $25 will be charged if parents/guardians do not notify Emerald City Karate that their child will be absent. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT because if we wait for an unexpectedly absent student, it also makes us late for picking up the next group.
How to Register
- Please read our afterschool program information on the website carefully before you register online. Our website contains important information, policies, and procedures related to our after-school program.
- As mentioned on the top of this website and under ‘Dates without Karate’, please make a note about the schedule details for November. There will be no after-school program available the week before Thanksgiving as we will be traveling to Japan for a karate training trip. Please make separate arrangements for that week. Thank you for your understanding.
- Register Online or via the paper registration form. Spaces are filled on a first come first serve basis.
- Please call us at 206-437-3932 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Sign Up Online (Immediate Booking)
*Our online booking is not available at this moment. Please email us at email@example.com to see if we have some availability.
- Please CLICK the button below and follow the directions for how to register online.
*Please make sure to follow all the directions in order to sign up successfully online.
SIGN UP BY VIA OUR PAPER REGISTRATION FORM
*Please email us FIRST for an inquiry with your preferred days (e.g Mondays & Wednesdays). Thank you!
- Download and complete the registration form via paper or PDF.
- Submit the registration form to Emerald City Karate by attaching the form to an email, or mail/drop it off at Emerald City Karate.
The form will be available on Monday, July 11th.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our Dojo Van currently picks up from:
West Woodland, Whittier, Daniel Bagley, Cascadia, Greenlake
Our instructors lead walking groups from:
– Kids Arrive & Eat Their Snacks to give them an energy boost before our training.
– Karate Class & Life Skills Talk
– Arts, Crafts, Mini-Science lessons, Japanese Language Lessons, Quiet Time To Get The Things You Need to be Done, and Games which team teamwork and focus.
– Parent pick up
Yes, if he or she is already enrolled for that particular day and time.
Every student is required to attend at least 2 classes per week in order to stay up to date on the current curriculum requirements. (You can choose up to 4 classes a week!)
Due to our After School Program’s high enrollment numbers, schedule changes cannot always be guaranteed, but we will do our best to accommodate changes based upon availability. To inquire about schedule changes, please contact Sensei Tobey or call 206-437-3932.
“I first started training under Sensei Tobey in 2008. When I first started my training I was a pack-a-day smoker. I had tried to quit smoking many times but had failed. I promised Sensei I’d quit before my black belt test. I no longer smoke, and I believe that my training in Shudokan Karate under Sensei Tobey gave me the mental discipline that I needed to quit.”
-Thom E – Adult Karate Program
“My 7-year old son and I have been going to Emerald City Karate for several years now. We have had a great time and always look forward to our family/youth class. As well as teaching about karate and Japanese culture and language, Sensei Tobey provides great lessons on how to work hard and patiently to succeed in anything. It’s also a great way to get mid-week exercise!”
Alan H – Youth & Family Program
“Sensei Tobey is my son’s Karate teacher (we’re in the 4 to 6-year-old class). As a teacher of small children, I find him to be a wonderful combination of patience, discipline, and fun. He is very passionate about teaching Karate and it shows. He relates to the kids very well and can teach boys and girls equally, not only the physical skills of Karate but mental focus skills as well. It’s been a great experience for my son and I highly recommend Sensei Tobey and Emerald City Karate to anyone looking to enroll their child in a martial arts class. “
Yvette H (Karate Mom)
Before joining Emerald City Karate I had no experience playing sports or participating in exercise programs because I didn’t like physical activities. So I didn’t expect I would be able to keep training for more than a month or so. But I found it to be fun immediately. The karate class has a variety of different subjects that keep students from being bored. Also, Sensei Tobey knows how to encourage students and allows them to have fun while feeling good about themselves. He likes telling jokes and making students laugh but his passion for teaching karate is always distinctive and serious. Because of his encouragement, I have kept training for a long time and even now I am training in Japan! Karate has taught me the joy of exercise and improved my concentration and it continues to teach many students to practice better manners and etiquette.
It is my pleasure to recommend Emerald City Karate for your exercise and experience in martial arts.
-Kaoru M: Adult Karate Program
“I cannot say enough good things about the programs offered at Emerald City Karate. If you have children, this dojo (school) is a wonderful environment for them to learn traditional Japanese martial arts, self-discipline, and to have a great time!”
-Samantha: Karate mom